How to wash your clothes_ 12 steps (with pictures) – wikihow
Two Methods: Using a Washing Machine and Dryer Hand Washing Clothes Community Q&A
Instead of buying new socks every time you run out of clean ones, you may want to learn how to wash your clothes. How to wash hand knitted baby clothes Knowing how to wash your clothes is an important life skill–particularly because otherwise your clothes might start to smell, or you could run up a real tab buying new socks each week. How to wash new clothes Follow these steps and you’ll be a washing (and drying) wiz in no time.
Sort your clothes into piles.
How should i wash baby clothes When washing clothes, there are two main things to keep in mind: what the color of the clothes are, and what material they are made out of. How do you wash white clothes in the washer Not all fabrics can handle the same amount of water pressure or level of tumbling.
• Separate light and dark colored clothes. How to wash clothes with baking soda and vinegar When you wash your clothes, especially new clothes, some of the dye used on the fabric will run out of the clothes (that’s why older clothes have a more faded color than bright, new clothes.) Any clothes that are white, cream, or a light, pale pastel color, should go in the ‘whites’ pile, while all other colored clothes should go in the ‘dark’ pile. What should you wash baby clothes with If you don’t separate, your new bright blue shirt might dye all of your white clothes blue.
• Separate your clothes based on the fabrics they are made out of. Wash dark clothes in warm water Some fabrics, like denim or thick cloth (like a towel) need to be washed on a heavier wash cycle than your silky lingerie (which gets washed on a delicate setting.) You should separate your clothes by the sort of wash cycle their fabrics are meant to be washed in.
• Remember, towels and sheets should not be washed together. How do u wash white clothes The top load washing machines should be used for towels, and sheets should be washed in front load machines (They are less harsh on sheets so they come out with fewer wrinkles).
Read the ‘care tag’ on your clothes. How to wash clothes that have bed bugs The cloth tags are not just sewn into clothes to make your neck itchy when they rub against your skin–they’re actually there to help guide you through the washing process. How to clean washing machine with baking soda and vinegar When in doubt about how to wash an item, check the tag. What do you wash clothes with The care tags tell you what fabric the item is made of, how it should be washed, and how it should be dried.
• Some clothes need to be dry cleaned or washed by hand (see Method Two for how to do this.) The care tag will tell you if either of these things are necessary.
Know what water temperature to select. Best way to wash white clothes Washing machines have different temperature settings because some fabrics and colors require different levels of heat to be washed thoroughly.
• Use hot water for light colors, particularly light colors that are especially dirty. How to quickly wash clothes The heat will scald the stains right out of those white items.
• Use cold water for dark colors, as cold water reduces the amount of dye that runs from these clothes (so your clothes won’t fade as fast when you use cold water.) Cotton items should also be washed in cold water as they are less likely to shrink in cold water.
Know what size load to select. Can you wash white clothes in cold water Most washing machines have a knob that you must turn to select the right size load for the amount of clothing you have (generally either small, medium or large.) If your clothes fill up one-third of the machine, you should select small. How to clean antique doll clothes Two-thirds of the machine means you should select medium, and if you fill up the whole machine, you should select large.
• Never squish clothes down so that you can fit more in. How to wash black and white striped clothes You should just run another load with your extra clothes or else you could risk jamming the machine or damaging it in some other way.
Know what washing cycle to select. How to clean front loader washing machine with baking soda As with temperature, washing machines also have different types of cycles, as different kinds of clothing require a different level of washing. How to wash my clothes without a washing machine 
• Regular/Normal cycle: Select this when washing white clothes. How to wash newborn clothes in washing machine It will leave your white items crisp and fresh.
• Permanent press: Use this for your colored clothes. What temperature to wash white clothes This cycle washes with warm water and ends with cooler water, which keeps your colors looking bright.
• Delicate: As you might guess, anything that is relatively delicate (bras, dry-fit wear, cotton sweaters, dress shirts, etc.) Always make sure that your delicates do not require you to dry-clean or hand wash them (check the tag to make sure.)
Add the right kind of washing fluid and close the door. How to clean white clothes in washing machine Washing fluid includes detergent, bleach, and fabric softener. What can you wash clothes with besides detergent You can either add your clothes and pour the right washing fluid on them, or keep your clothes out of the washer, fill the washer ? of the way with water, add the washing fluid, and then add the clothes. How to clean clothes washer smell 
• Detergent: The amount of detergent you put in your washing machine is determined by how large your load is. How to wash clothes by hand in the bathtub Generally, detergent lids act as cups that have marked off amounts. How to hand wash clothes in a washing machine Generally, ? of the cup should be filled with detergent for a small load, ? for a medium load, and a full cup for a large load. How to wash newborn clothes However, read your specific detergent bottle for instructions on how to use that detergent–some detergents are more concentrated than others, meaning you don’t need to use as much.
• Bleach: Bleach is used when you want to get tough stains out of clothes, or you want your whites to be really, really white. Washing baby clothes before use There are two kinds of bleach. How to wash vintage clothes Chlorine bleach is good for really making your whites white but should never be used on any colored fabric. How to clean couch with baking soda and vinegar All-fabric bleach can be used on colored fabrics.
• Fabric softener: This is used when you like your towels extra fluffy. Color clothes wash Fabric softener should be added during the rinse cycle. How to clean baby clothes stain Some machines have a dispenser where you can pour the softener when you begin the wash cycle, and it will add it to the rinse cycle at the right time.
Move your clothes to the dryer and select the right cycle. What temperature do you wash light clothes in Keep in mind that there are some clothes that should be air dried. How to wash clothes by hand quickly Check the tag–if it says not to dry it, hang these items somewhere they can dry. What to wash white clothes in Like the washing machine, the dryer also has settings that you have to wade through to dry your clothes. Hand wash baby clothes Add a dryer sheet and close the door. How to clean old grease stains from clothes 
• Regular/heavy: White clothes are best dried on the regular/heavy setting. What temperature do you wash clothes in to shrink them White clothes are generally pre-shrunk and can handle the more intense and higher heat drying system (unlike colors which fade under high heat.)
• Permanent press: This is better for regular colored clothes. How to wash clothes with poison ivy The medium heat and pressure makes sure that your clothes don’t fade.
• Delicate: Any clothes that you washed on the delicate setting should be dried on the delicate setting. How to wash clothes by washing machine This setting uses close to room temperature air and slow cycle so that no damage comes to your delicates.
Fill a bucket with water. What temperature to wash white clothes with stains Generally you want a large bucket (roughly five gallons) filled with one to two gallons of water.
• If you do not have a bucket, you can use a plugged sink. How to whiten white clothes at home Make sure the sink is fully plugged and then fill the sink with warm water.
Add a mild detergent. Hand wash clothes with dish soap This is not the same kind of detergent you would use in a washer machine. How to clean white shirts without bleach Regular detergent is too concentrated and will make your hand-wash only clothes feel grimy. How to remove red wine stains from wool carpet You can purchase delicate detergent in the same isle as regular detergent in your grocery store–just make sure it says mild or delicate on the bottle. How to wash clothes in sink 
Rinse your clothes. Crochet baby washcloth free pattern You should rinse your clothes with warm, clean water. Can you wash clothes without detergent You can run your clothes one at a time under the faucet you used to fill up the bucket (or the sink.) Rinse the clothes until they are no longer sudsy and the water that runs off them is clean and without bubbles.
Let your clothes air dry. How to hand wash clothes at home You should not hang these clothes to dry, as hanging them could cause them to stretch. What temperature should i wash my white clothes Instead, lay these delicate clothes flat to dry. Washing machine leaving black marks on clothes This will ensure that they do not stretch, and will minimize the amount of wrinkles formed in the drying process.
Yes, but set the washer on a small load. How to wash linen tablecloths napkins Keep in mind that you will be using a lot of water to wash those two articles of clothing. How do you wash baby clothes Consider adding something else into the washer as well, or saving them for when you have a larger load to wash; this way, you will be saving water.
You can if you want to, but it also depends on what you are cleaning. How to wash washing machine with baking soda If you are washing something with a print on it, such as a graphic t-shirt, you would want to turn it inside out to keep the design from fading. How to hand wash clothes properly If you are washing something that is heavily soiled on the outside, you would not want to turn the item inside out.
Depending on how long you leave them in there, mildew can grow on the wet clothes. How to dry clean your clothes The thing is, it sure doesn’t take long for this to happen, so removing your clothes within a few hours of washing them is essential to keep them smelling fresh.
• Don’t wash bras unbuckled because the hooks can be caught in other clothes and break or bend.
• If you’re sharing an apartment or living with people you know, it sometimes helps to join in the washing. Dark clothes wash temperature This is especially the case with reds, as many people don’t have a full load of red clothes in their wardrobe. Should you wash white clothes in hot water Doing laundry together saves money and time, and lowers your impact on the environment.
• If you are using powder detergent, do not put it directly on top of the clothes. How to clean old stains from clothes It may not rinse completely out of the clothing and it could cause discoloration.
• If hand washing clothes use a pair of rubber gloves to protect your hands and skin from nasty chemicals.
• Don’t leave your clothes in your washer for more than 24 hours, they will get musty and moldy.
• New clothes with bright colors may have to be washed by themselves for the first few times unless you have something in a very similar color.